1 peter 3:4

"cultivate inner beauty--the gentle, gracious kind
that God delights in.the holy women of old were
beautiful before God that way.." -1 peter 3:4

Saturday, November 5, 2011

24 days of thanks: entries 1-5.

it's a total shame that today is november 5th -- {remember, remember, the 5th of november..okay, sorry. i know everyone will be saying that today!} i only say it's a shame because i just had an awesome realization that i should be blogging everyday this month, until thanksgiving, about something i'm thankful for. do i have 24 things? i'm sure i do. i know i do. but do i realize it and appreciate it like i should? that's probably a big, fat, NO. life gets in the way, i get distracted..as does everyone. this month is going to be a chance to unwind and realize just what i am blessed with. since it's the 5th, i'll give you five things today:

-1-
i'm thankful for my parents.
{thanksgiving day, 2008. who do you think i look like more?}
i have been blessed with awesome parents who love Jesus. they are the hardest-working people i know. my dad works full-time at a local news station {no, he's not on tv..he's the mastermind behind the computers!} and also serves at our church as head of the sound ministry. my mom works as a substitute teacher in the local school system; and, when i told her of how we were struggling at work with having too much to do and not enough staff, she volunteered to help us on days that she isn't at the school. my parents are amazing examples of perserverance, faith, love, and discipline. i'm so thankful!

-2-
i'm thankful for my kick-booty awesome brother.
{october 2011, band rehearsal. every day but thursday..check them out!}
i can not put into words how much my brother means to me. i simply can't. i can try, but it won't do justice. he is a constant supplier of laughs, a lover of Jesus, and the most solid person i know. lee will be graduating from liberty university this may and i couldn't be more proud of who he's become and how hard of a worker he is. he is an amazing example of work ethic, time management, faithfulness, perserverance, and appreciation of life. i am so thankful!

-3-
i'm thankful for my beautiful sister.
{october 2011, senior picture by the lovely beth!}
i am so, so thankful that i have my sister. she is a constant personal cheerleader, another supplier of giggles, and my favorite sleepover invitee. its weird that i like inviting her over to stay the night, mainly because we shared a room for almost 20 years. from the time she could first walk around and do things, she's constantly been referred to as "a hoot." she is a lover of Jesus and i am so thankful that she's my sister, and even more thankful that she is my friend. she's an amazing example of loyalty, faith, standing firm for what you believe, and unconditional love. {if she still loves me after all the mean fights we had sharing a room, that says something!} i am so thankful!

-4-
i am thankful for my 9th and 10th grade girls.

{october 2011, small group bonfire at my house. below me is savannah, and then to left and going around is mauren, kendall, and carly. there are a good number of girls who were unable to make it that night, so shout-out to alexis, ashley b, ashley h, caitlyn, emily, and hannah!}
i have been so blessed to have the group that i do this year! it is such a diverse group but these girls bond together like crazy. we've laughed and cried together; the support system they provide each other is amazing. they inspire me to do better in my relationship with Christ, and to make choices in my life that i'd want them to make in theirs. there was  time when church and God were most definitely not my first priority..or even on my radar for that matter. i've had more life experiences than i can count; but God is using all of it and allowing me the privilege to do life with these girls and i love it! i am so thankful.

-5-
i am thankful for common, everyday beauty.
{october 31, 2011. sunrise while driving across the bridge near my house}
God places beauty everywhere. sometimes we don't notice it; sometimes it requires us to really stop and look. but other times, he allows such beauty that it literally takes our breath away. i am blessed to live where i do; while its a little off the beaten path, and further from work than i'd like, i get to see sunrises like that every day! and the sunsets aren't too shabby either! the cornfields, the riverbanks, the sunrises and sunsets, the country roads lined with trees exploding with color this weekend..all of it has been created by a beautiful God. i am so thankful!

4 comments:

  1. Since I saw a post the other day saying "What if tomorrow you woke to find you only had the things you thanked God for today?", I'm glad to know if that happened to you, we'd all still be here. ;) Love you and am so thrilled to see you right where the Lord wants you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your blog through Kelly's Korner--I'm your newest follower. Looking forward to reading more...and I'm loving the idea of posting about everything we have to be thankful for. We sure are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for following! its so easy to forget how big are blessings list really is! i challenge you to start your own countdown :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Kelly's Korner! You have so many awesome things to be thankful for. I love the idea of posting them during this month! Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete